About Me

My photo
Dundee / Ayr, United Kingdom
Graphic Design, Photography, Design, Freelance. 3rd Year Graphic Design, Duncan of Jordanstone College Of Art and Design

Monday 22 February 2010

Activity 2E The E.N.D

For the final stage of Activity 2 I added a word to my 4 images to furthermore enhance the message or story it was trying to communicate. I was in fact pleasantly surprised. I am starting to, or at least think I am beginning to see what Barthes was talking about.

I added the word REWARD to my images, I still didn't get a full return on the stories but the majority of them were along the same lines of someone catching cattle to be transported and being rewarded with a glass of milk. I found that if they were rearranged with the glass and the word coming last that this was the way to get the best results.

I believe to a certain extent that this was what was asked of us in the task, however as much as I enjoyed the physical task, I found the whole idea of the Barthes essay baffling. I didn't understand it properly in all honesty on a number of points, even after extensive discussion within my seminar group, although this did shed a bit of light onto it. I feel that the exercise would be on the whole better without Roland Barthes' influence as I feel it slowed the whole process (that I'd imagine would have the same outcome without it) down.

In relation to the picture activity however I do see this as a helpful task especially in Graphic Design, when understanding text and image, as it is a very important part of the subject. The whole idea is that an image has to communicate its message in the most powerful, effective means in a short space of time. When we discussed as a group, Sophie brought up the Diet-Irn Bru adverts where you are to spot the difference in them. We proceeded to have quite a lengthy discussion to what we all felt this advert was meaning. As an advert I think in terms of this task it would have failed as it wasn't immediately clear what the message was. This perhaps enhances the need for strong text and imagery.

No comments:

Post a Comment