About Me

My photo
Dundee / Ayr, United Kingdom
Graphic Design, Photography, Design, Freelance. 3rd Year Graphic Design, Duncan of Jordanstone College Of Art and Design

Sunday 7 February 2010

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?


I finally completed reading the Watchmen by Alan Moore and David Gibson last week after getting it as a birthday present (September). I subsequently went on to watch the film, as I've have been putting it off since getting it for Christmas preferring to finish the book first.

After you get past the obvious fiction of masked heroes, the book deals with some quite current issues although being written over 20 years ago. It tells of impending war with middle eastern countries (albeit between Russia), the threat of nuclear war and the public's unrest with their government.

The day after watching the film I was at the car park around the back of my flat and I noticed some newly scrawled graffiti along one of the walls. Someone had sprayed "Governments should be afraid of their people" in black paint with an acid house smiley face. I was still in my watchmen state of mind on seeing this so I was waiting at home for the news of mass riots and nuclear warfare breaking out. However it was probably just someone trying to direct a political message to an area that generally doesn't care. I wasn't too sure what the person behind the graffiti was trying to get at, I just found it quite surreal on seeing it as the tag-line of the film "Who Watches The Watchmen" came to mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment