About Me

My photo
Dundee / Ayr, United Kingdom
Graphic Design, Photography, Design, Freelance. 3rd Year Graphic Design, Duncan of Jordanstone College Of Art and Design

Monday 15 February 2010

Monkeys Typing Shakespeare


A friend of mine recently recommended the documentary To Infinity And Beyond to me, currently available on BBC iPlayer. The documentory is on the concept of infinity. How its used in maths, science and all around us.

A word of warning, its not for the weak minded, currently my heads set to explode, probably just after I finish writing fvns fvugerhklr ;hnnmbhtnlr.tkjh.... just joking.

There is one concept that particularly interested me. Its the notion of the Monkeys typing Shakespeare concept. I probably won't do it justice by trying to explain how it works so you would probably be best looking it up if you're interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem. The idea is that if a monkey were to hit the keys of a type-writer an infinite amount of times, then it would surely eventually write out the entire works of Shakespeare, as well as every book ever written. It is a concept that I struggle to get my head around but it does make sense.

I recommend that you give it a watch even if you do skip some bits.

Oh and ignore the bald guy, he's a pain in the arse.

1 comment:

  1. i watched this an it blew my mind, i have since tryed to explain it to people and they havent got a clue wat im on about lol x

    ReplyDelete